Who is DIGNITAS
“DIGNITAS – To live with dignity - to die with dignity” is an association in accordance with Swiss law and was founded on 17 May 1998 at Forch (near Zurich). The organisation, which pursues no commercial interests whatsoever, has in accordance with its const- itution the objective of ensuring a life and a death with dignity for its members and of allowing other people to benefit from these values.
The activities of DIGNITAS comprise, amongst others:
- Counselling in regard to all end-of-life issues
- Cooperation with physicians, clinics and other associations
- Carrying out Patient’s Instructions and patient’s rights with regard to doctors and clinics
- Suicide- and suicide-attempt prevention
- Support in conflicts with the authorities, with the management of nursing homes and with doctors not chosen by the patient
- Further legal developments in regard to questions about “the last issues”
- Accompaniment of dying patients and assistance with a self-determined end of life.
On 26 September 2005, based on German initiative, “DIGNITAS – To live with dignity - To die with dignity” (German section) e.V.” was founded in Hannover, in order to follow up on the objectives of DIGNITAS through an association specifically for German residents.
Today, these two associations count over 7100 members in 69 different countries. Both associations are members of the World Federation of Right-to-Die Societies WFRtDS and Right to Die Europe RtDE.
Every day, DIGNITAS is contacted by people from all over the world who seek authentic and honest counselling on questions regarding life and death without tabooing, paternalism and stigmatization. Some 20 internal and external part-time workers take care, directly and indirectly, of the needs of the members and further persons.